Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Big for Your Britches

This afternoon (in SL time), relative newcomer to the trivia scene Aiden Falmer held his first ever trivia event at the Victoria Pub in Eudora sim. He enjoyed a nice-sized turnout with a number of trivia regulars in attendance. Aiden seems very enthusiastic about hosting trivia, and on many levels, his first effort was promising. He seemed to enjoy himself, most of his questions were perfectly competent, and some of them were quite good.


This event was better run and more enjoyable than many off-the-beaten-path events I've attended, such as the one I wrote about in this space last week. Aiden has a lot of room to grow, however, and he'll need to do so if he wishes to continue attracting a competitive group to his games. No one's first time is ever perfect (which of course could be said about a lot of things). If Aiden continues attending other events and taking note of what makes some questions work and others not, and if he pays attention to when his own questions are met with confusion or frustration, I trust he'll be able to iron out some of the wrinkles that were evident in the small number of questions that suffered from vagueness.


A larger number of his questions were rather straightforward, such as, "What tree is used in the cultivation of silkworms?" There were no stumpers; the questions that were not immediately answered could be spammed. A few particularly good ones took a little bit of thought, for example, "Which American President was the first not to have been born in the Thirteen Colonies?" The questions appeared to be written by him, which always deserves credit and, I believe, patience for weaknesses when a host is just starting out.


There was some confusion about the start time for the event, as some attendees had heard that it would start at 2:30 but at 2:45 were told it would begin at 3:00. Aiden was prompt about kicking off at 3:00, however, even running through a few "warmup questions" for L$5 each in the few minutes prior. He kept the event running at a suitably brisk (but not rushed) pace, though he has yet to master the transition time between countdown and question.


All of these minor flaws are the sorts of things sharp hosts can repair as time goes on. There was an additional set of drawbacks, however, that I'm afraid will be more difficult for Aiden to recognize and contend with. In brief, Aiden's approach to hosting trivia is ego-driven in nearly every respect. I cannot know for certain what grounds his understanding of how trivia works or can work in Second Life, but so far he has not displayed a strong grasp on the social workings of the trivia community. Further, he does not seem inclined to put the time into figuring them out before pursuing his goal of becoming an SL trivia host.


Some small examples of Aiden's self-emphasis persisted from the time prior to the event all the way until after it ended. His bonuses were "Falmer Bonuses," he included a question on the topic of "Me" (that is, him), complete with capitalization, in which players were asked to guess his height, and he was conspicuously anxious about receiving tips even before he had given players a reason to tip him.


The crowning example, however, was that after his twenty mostly respectable (but nothing to write home about) questions, he informed us,


[2009/12/21 16:13] Aiden Falmer: I will soon be creating a group

[2009/12/21 16:13] Aiden Falmer: for followers, fans, stalkers etc


...not seeming to realize that in order to have a group for followers, fans, or stalkers, it is generally a good idea to have at least one of those first. This announcement explained a lot, though, about how Aiden perceives.. something. I'm only half-sure about what. It might be trivia hosting, it might be himself, or both. or, less likely, neither. He seems to see trivia hosting as possibly equivalent to a DJ gig. He mentioned later that he manages clubs in SL, so perhaps he was generalizing from his experience in that context.


It means, however, that he has not put in the mileage as a trivia player to notice that trivia hosts -- at least those in the contexts in which he is attempting to advertise -- do not have fan clubs. There are groups associated with events and venues, and most are flexible about allowing others to use the group chat to announce events (if they remain appropriately on-topic).


I asked him after most players had left what his interest in trivia stemmed from, and he answered, "It just seemed like a good way to entertain and so forth." Well, certainly, trivia events are a means of entertaining ourselves, but this response begs the question: why does he seem so confident that others already wish to be entertained by him? That is something he needs to earn, which doesn't happen simply by putting together a game stacked with adequate questions, paying L$10 each for them, and spending more time asking for tips than doing advance research on how to appropriately announce an event in Trivia Fiends.


Aiden is young, and I am optimistic. It's still possible for him to grow into the trivia scene, but he'll need to accept, before anything else, that he doesn't already know what he's doing. He can deliver an event that is stronger than what many non-trivia clubs have to offer, but really, that only counts for so much when you address a room full of seasoned hosts and players as if they ought to be excited when you offer to pay a whole L$20 for a bonus. He may at this point be best off at a venue where traffic is reliable, trivia questions are minimally competitive, and the events are not designed to be personality-driven. I have already suggested to him that he speak to a friendly man at such a place.

12 comments:

  1. Aiden was the first person I ever kicked out of Trivia Fiends. For no good reason he spammed "Hi" to the group in the morning. He did it again in the afternoon when I was on. I told him when people spam groups it causes other people to leave groups and asked him to stop. Instead of stopping he did it again almost immediately after I asked him not to. I'm not big on second or third warnings in second life, so I booted him. He then asked why he was kicked. I told him it was for trivia announcements only. A few minutes later he announced an unscheduled trivia. I'm not sure if I'm egocentric, but I'm pretty sure this trivia was thrown together as an excuse for his spamming the trivia fiends group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't make it to the event, but will be try to make it to the next, if there is one, Aiden. The "trivia community" doesn't speak with a single voice, but Lette usually has good ideas, in my opinion, and is worth a listen. Nice summary and review, Lette. KKips

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the fact that so many within the trivia community agree on this one speaks volumes, Karm. You're absolutely right that there is no single voice, which makes the general consensus worth noting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was there and Lette's review is fair. I spoke to him Josh and I don't think he threw the event together after being kicked from the Trivia Fiends group, after that he was at a loss how to publicise his event and I suggested that he spam Sharon's Diner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that this was a fair review. I do wish Aiden the best and hope that he heeds the advice of seasoned hosts like Lotus and Lette to heart. At the same time, I hope our "trivia community" is big enough for someone with a different point of view.

    Alanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course it is! Look at the incredible variety of events and venues that we have, and the diversity within the community itself. It's a little baffling to me why "trivia community" is being thrown into quotes as though it doesn't really exist. It does. We are all contributing members. Take all the trivia in SL, and you find a core community of players, hosts and venues. This core certainly doesn't dictate how things should be run (nor should it), but yes, there are expectations after months and sometimes years of what have become common trivia practices and behavior. For example, 20L per question is the competitive payout standard at most casual events. Another example: at the vast majority of events, you don't find questions that focus on unknown, unprovable aspects of the host's personal life or anatomy.

    Aiden ran a perfectly competent event, but it's important to remember that trivia is a game and the host must play to his or her audience to keep them comfortable and entertained (or compensate them ridiculously and basically buy their ongoing participation, as one particular venue does). The attendance at Aiden's first event was largely due to people wanting to check him out as a new host. In order for him to gain widespread acceptance as a host within the competitive trivia market and to keep bringing people to his events, he will need to make some adjustments. If he chooses not to, he can still run a competent game on his own Aiden-centric terms to an audience that will likely be sparse (not to mention unable to provide him with the tips he craves). No one is saying there isn't room for his event, or that there is one way trivia must be presented/experienced in SL. He put himself out there as a host, and now he's being discussed and given feedback from those who have good and helpful intentions... and who want quality trivia that players enjoy. There is most definitely a trivia community, and I hope Aiden is able to find his niche within it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry, I usually bite my tongue when people post blogs criticizing trivia hosts or events for not meeting the "standards" of the "Trivia Community," but posts like this annoy me. I get that Lette is offering what she believes to be helpful advice to Aiden, but it's a bit ironic to criticize someone else for being self-absorbed in a posting in one's own blog. If you have suggestions to him on how he could improve his event, fine, but why repeat them here in such a public forum? And why do people assume that Aiden wants to run an event according to "the Trivia Community's" expectations? Maybe he wants to do it his own way, even if it comes off as egocentric and, yes, even annoying to some of you, and is not an event you'd care to attend. From the post and the comments, I don't see where any of us is qualified to say "he'll need to accept, before anything else, that he doesn't already know what he's doing." Maybe he does. Maybe your approval and acceptance into the bosom of the "Trivia Community" isn't as important to him as doing things in a style that he likes (even if that style can be annoying and over the top, as many of you clearly believe). Also, I don't understand this concept that someone has to "earn the right" to entertain the "Trivia Community." Here I thought Second Life was a chance for everyone to have fun in the way they see fit; I didn't realize people had to "earn" the right to try to be entertaining. As far as I'm concerned, everyone in SL has free license to entertain me. Whether they succeed at that venture is a different matter, but they don't have to "earn the right" to try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Simmamon. You make it sound like theres a ceritifacation exam!. It's just a second life event hply moly! All you have to do is pay and do a half decent job and people will come. You don't even have to do a half decent job if you pay enough ;>

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sinn, I agree with you too, actually. One of the points I was trying to make with my comment is that he can do it how he likes! He may not entertain me either, but there will always be a place for him somewhere.

    I stand by comment. When I say standards I mean practices and procedures -- people like and dislike events for all sorts of reasons (and can always leave an event they are not enjoying, ffs), but there *is* a common ground within a community of regular players/venue for new hosts to reference. That's it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sinn, the only thing I said he needs to earn is people's interest in him as a host, in the sense that he doesn't seem to realize that it doesn't come automatically.

    This is very different from earning the "right" to entertain people, which he clearly has. Maybe you read too fast, or maybe you just wanted my words to mean something you already believe me to think, I don't know. Your interpretation is pretty off-base.

    When I try out a new type of event, I ask repeatedly for feedback to see if what I'm trying to do is working. I don't prepare an event and expect people to love it just because I put it on. To this day, I still solicit, listen to, and usually make changes on account of input about Buccaneer Bowl. Chaos is perpetually transforming. I worry about putting on a good game all the way up until someone tells me that one of my events is their favorite trivia in SL. You can't please everyone, but as long as each of my events pleases at least a few people that much, it's worth the work.

    As for the irony of criticizing self-absorption in a blog, which is, almost by definition, a self-absorbed medium, well... I've never claimed not to be self-absorbed myself. The issue here, though, is when self-absorption prevents one from accomplishing one's own goals. If I'm wrong about what I perceive Aiden's goals to be, then he'll probably ignore all of this, and no harm done.

    But if I'm right in thinking that he wants to host trivia events with a good turnout from the people whose games he goes to and whom he tells he is "observing because I'm going to be a trivia host in the future" (as he said prior to someone else's game the other day) and who are members of the Trivia Fiends and Sharon's Diner groups, which he placed (or tried to place) announcements in, and who are associated with the New Trivia Monkeys venue, which he's expressed interest in... then I have a lot of confidence that the suggestions I've made are in his interest.

    He does watch experienced hosts. He does pay attention to what they do. He even used the exact same abbreviations rule that is standard for several particular hosts. But there are some key things he hasn't picked up on, and they are all on a social, not a technical, level.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the tone of the post comes off badly - the title, and this passage: "In brief, Aiden's approach to hosting trivia is ego-driven in nearly every respect. I cannot know for certain what grounds his understanding of how trivia works or can work in Second Life, but so far he has not displayed a strong grasp on the social workings of the trivia community. Further, he does not seem inclined to put the time into figuring them out before pursuing his goal of becoming an SL trivia host."

    comes off insulting instead of as constructive criticism. Yes many communities in SL have standards but one is free to host an event however they like with a disregard for all that came before and after! I am being simplistic , I am sure if an event is bad like this, after no one showing up for weeks a host would figure out there is an issue. I don't see the problem with trying to do an event willy nilly.

    Also I don't see the problem with being an egotistical host just wanting to be the center of attention and have people worship me - or Aiden?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wonder what Aiden thinks about all this. Does it seem like fair and helpful critism? Is a potentially embarrassing forum that is, however, open to hearing other's diverse comments better than hearing advice more discretely in IM? Did he want advice? Does he give a rat's ass about the "trivia community?" Hehe. I hope he will comment. KKips

    ReplyDelete