Thursday, June 4, 2009

Up For Discussion: The Plink

plink \plink\ vb : plinked ; plinking : to taunt a trivia player who is playing well and standing out in a game

plinker \`plink-ər\ n : one who plinks

This is a word that a friend and I made up because we wanted an easy way to describe this phenomenon, to be able to say, "Hey, I just got plinked." The taunting involved in plinking can take many forms, but here are some examples from one time that I was plinked:

[2009/02/24 18:52] Plinky Plinklesworth: damn .. someone pls break Lette's keyboard

[2009/02/24 18:56] Plinky Plinklesworth: ok, time to slip Lette a computer virus

[2009/02/24 18:59] Plinky Plinklesworth: wow ... did Lette get that? there's a surprise

This person is a serial plinker. Two days later, he'd moved on from plinking me and was hitting that night's standout:

[2009/02/26 18:15] Plinky Plinklesworth: someone break Olm's keyboard

When I was brand new to SL trivia, I actually saw it as a compliment to get this sort of attention. Over time, though, it became more and more trite. There aren't too many people for whom every single game is a stunner, which means that for most of us, when we do have a good one, it can be an exciting moment. There's a minor high involved. And for someone to call attention to your performance in such a way that isn't about "Hey, great job tonight," but rather implies something less supportive, it can be a let-down at best and seriously aggravating at worst.

Sure, it's just teasing and is therefore theoretically harmless, but this is one of those instances where it's important to remember there are people with feelings behind the avs, and although many people are able to brush off the plink, I also know others who get so self-conscious that they essentially stop playing for the remainder of the game. In that first example, the plinker in question was pretty benign. I responded to him with friendly banter, and eventually we became friends. Others, however, don't really know when to stop:

[2009/01/08 19:54] Plinkelle Plinklewood: lette needs to share their lindens...hmm

[2009/01/08 19:54] Plinkelle Plinklewood: ahh we can just put a hit on ya

[2009/01/12 18:12] Plinkelle Plinklewood: someone put handcuffs on her so she cant type

[2009/01/29 18:22] Plinkelle Plinklewood: someone blow her off the sim pls

Over time, this person got more and more aggressive with the plinking. The night of that last comment, she and I had a falling out about where the line is between tolerable and intolerable plinking. For me, when it veered toward threats to bodily harm, that's when it stopped being ordinary teasing and became misplaced aggression.

Mythology night at Blaizing Inferno

Plinkers are often, but not always, people new to the game or people who aren't very strong players and would be plinking anyone at all who stood out. When I get teased by someone who consistently answers in second place to me, it has an entirely different feel. The vibe to that tends to be more of competition mixed with mutual admiration. However, this type of teasing might constitute plinking to someone else. There is no black-or-white when it comes to what is plinking and what is not, because different people may interpret different scenarios differently. But there do tend to be some things that get me more than others.

Plinking becomes irritating when the people who do it seem to think that their comments are somehow funny or original, not realizing that the veterans among us have been hearing the same lines ad nauseum since we started playing. When it happens to me, I usually respond by saying, "If _____ were here, I probably wouldn't be your target." And it's true. Although I seldom fail miserably in a game, I'm also not usually the standout player, so when I am, I don't generally appreciate a response that implies that I shouldn't be, even if it's delivered in fun. When I give the "If _____ were here" response, I'm trying to point out to the plinker that I'm not that amazing, I'm just convenient. That strategy hasn't been effective yet, though, so I'm looking for other ways to respond that don't sound like an over-reaction.

It's annoying also because when new people do it, they're missing the broader context that these games take place in, and when more regular people do it, it just gets old. For instance, in the last Plinkelle example, I had only answered two questions correctly that night before she asked for someone to blow me out of the sim. Who wants to play under those conditions? Do they think it's still funny the eleventh time they say it? Apparently at least some do. I asked Pinkelle to cool it once her comments headed into violent territory, and she thought that was a joke, too. She seemed to have no perception that even the mild comments could be annoying. In my guide to people new to SL trivia, I suggested that if you plink (though I didn't use the word in that post), be cognizant of how your target responds, and if they don't seem to be playing along, then don't push.

I have my own theories about where the tendency to plink comes from, but I'll stop here and let others comment. Why do people plink? How do you feel when they plink? Do you respond when they do it to you? when you see them do it to others? Are there some types that are annoying to you and others that aren't? Or do you even find it complimentary, like I did when I was new? If you've ever been a plinker, why have you done it? What are some good strategies to responding to plinking that don't make you look like you have no sense of humor?

Fairy tale night at Blaizing Inferno, with some people arriving from Shiraz's sports night

Credit goes to Lou Netizen for coining the term "plink."
********

11 comments:

  1. Browman GrtiffithJune 5, 2009 at 9:23 AM

    What is the origin connecting the word "plink" with this phenomenon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lou and I just wanted to find a word to apply to this trend, and when I first brought it up, she misunderstood what I was referring to and said she called it plinking. I clarified, and we brainstormed some other words, but plinking still seemed to feel best. For all intents and purposes, it's a made-up word that we've been using for a while, long enough for it to have settled into our vocabulary. If you've got a better word for it, feel free to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think some taunting is good but that person seems to be taking it too far. It sounds too much like Plinko. Call it envy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wouldn't be the first time—or the last—I've misunderstood something in Second Life. :)

    I don't know where I picked it up, but to me "plinking" means taking cheap shots. I associate it with kids with BB guns popping of at soda cans and neighborhood cats, but I pretty much extend it to any form of cheap and immature insult, rebuke, or chiding.

    Examples of the behavior Lette cites aren't terribly common in my experience, but aren't all that extreme. I've experienced "plinking" that would have been eligible for abuse reports (attacks with scripted objects, pushes, weapons, etc.). Now I pretty much leave - or stop playing - as soon as it starts, unless I have a strong sense the host or other players will back me up. I'd rather not get drawn into a negative exchange.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok I get the connection with the cheap shots thing.

    I've done a little teasing myself, but as Lette mentions in the article it gets old quickly. I don't remember ever getting plinked myself, but I do remember other players getting plinked even though I or others were doing equally well or better than the plinked player had been.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazingly I have been plinked once or twice (love that word!) and I usually take it as a compliment, and tell them to come back tomorrow when I'll be back to normal. The one occasion I do remember, I was having a very good night for me indeed, and I was accused of being the hosts girlfriend! She laughed that one off with me and politely pointed out I was just plain good! (I'm not, but it shut them up:))

    I do also plink sometimes, but usually only in a friendly way with people I know, and of course I always congratulate them when they get a question right. I think that stands out too - the 'serious' plinker will never say wd to the person who got it right.

    If someone gets aggresive I usually just ignore them - they're not worth it - and it invariably makes me raise my game even further! And of course, someone else will always tell this person what they think.

    I think there's room for friendly banter/ plinking, but aggresive plinking really isn't in the spirit of the game.

    ReplyDelete
  7. JoshuaStephen SchismJune 5, 2009 at 4:21 PM

    I don't think I'm with you on this one. I don't generally plink myself (I once might have done a "sexy dance" to distract Lou when she was on a roll) but I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. If anything, I don't think people should complain about it. Kobe wouldn't complain about plinking. Tiger wouldn't let opponents psych him out when he's kicking butt. It's a competition. If it were a friendly get together activity, a person wouldn't be trying to be first every single time if they're winning the majority of questions. Someone once felt so strongly against the domination by a single player at their trivia that they installed a "no 2 questions in a row" rule because they thought one player winning every time took away from the fun and it was less likely the other players would show up next time. It caused a minor stir for a bit.

    Attacks should not be personal, and if you're feeling uncomfortable you should tell the person. But if you dominate, you will be plinked, all part of the game. Also, I don't know if I like plinked. I think slarassed might be better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't often dominate games, there are just too many other great players out there for this to happen to me. But I do recall one night at a certain club, that a certain number of us frequent, where the topic was matrimony. Now don't ask me why I was doing well that night ( maybe the lag gods were smiling on me) but I got a gentle plinking from a few people, and gradually the plinking increased to the point where I felt so uncomfortable that I stopped answering questions and left. I actually have only gone back a few times since, because it made me feel so terrible. Now I know that the whole "can't handle success" thing is probably my own problem, but in this case, where for me it became terminal plinking, it created enough of an issue that I couldn't abide it, and in fact it ruined what used to be a rather happy place for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. JoshuaStephen SchismJune 5, 2009 at 7:37 PM

    My sexy dance failed miserably Ana. If anything, it made me look foolish somehow.

    And Lillian, if you're in a place where people are gang plinking you it's probably not a place worth hanging out at anyway. Was the crowd composed of trivia regulars or was it one of those isolated trivia crowds?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't mind being plinked. What does tend to annoy me though is when people plink me before the question is asked. ie people will say they are 'pretyping "WTG Ana"' when the subject is announced.

    I don't think that it is such a big deal as Lette is making out, but i then feel under a lot of pressure to get the next question.

    ReplyDelete