Monday, May 25, 2009

If You Build It, They Will Come (for enough prize money)

Bunneh hangs out in Lebn Bucyk's Barefoot Park

I've been thinking lately about the variations in appearance of many of the trivia venues in SL and about whether a location's appearance affects my experience of the game there. I don't tend to shy away from the places that are less attractive, but I am definitely drawn to those that are more so. I don't think my surroundings directly affect whether I play well or not, but they do affect my mood, and if I do poorly, I don't mind it so much if I'm at Lebn's nice little park than if I'm at, say, a mostly empty dirt lot with camping chairs and spammy games. At least at Lebn's I will have had a pleasant time for reasons other than the trivia.

Attractiveness is relative, of course, and most of the places that look unattractive to someone who likes to find SL's most creative builds probably look just fine to those who are more likely to visit bland shopping malls and depressingly parceled sims with ban lines. My opinions about which trivia locations are best and which are best not mentioned are thus entirely subjective. Nonetheless, if it influences me, it probably influences others on a conscious or less-than-conscious level, in terms of their enjoyment of a trivia game. Here are some of the places I like and why I like them.

Armada. It's plagued by some of the most vicious lag demons in SL, but there's no denying that it's nevertheless a great-looking place. It's too bad that it's nearly impossible to play without turning off at least some of the rendering.

Barefoot in Jeongam. Lebn and Preston's park has a bit more floating text than it needs, and it has occasionally been cursed with overly flashy neighbors, but when the place is filled with players using the many poseballs around the fire, it is sweet, charming, cozy, and chill.

The Grotto. The location of last weekend's vampire trivia might host more events in the future. This underground space with marble steps and waterfalls not only is going to be one of the prettiest spots on the trivia circuit if it does but is rather attractive in its own right.

[MonoChrome]. The place is completely uncomplicated, free of ads and unnecessary poseballs. All of the floating text thingies are in one place, by the stage, and there isn't an overabundance of them. Seating is varied, and the dual levels and balconies keep the monochromatic from being monotonous as well.

Sharon's Diner. The regulars might joke about how badly the grease traps need cleaning, but Sharon does a good job of blending the sponsors' ads in with the fake ones. The place is not what you would call pretty, but it has lots of character, and character makes up for some of the details that might spoil the appearance of a less successfully eclectic space.

Sharon Scofield's trivia diner has kitsch. I love kitsch.

Then there are some things that seriously dampen a place's atmosphere. I should note, of course, that there's no absolute dealbreaker here, that (like at Sharon's) it's always possible that some elements can be balanced out by others.

Visible dance balls. Lilly's Irish Pub might have made my list of favorites if it weren't for their tidy little Intan ball going AWOL, while the floor suddenly became littered with more couples dance balls than they had previously (at least this was true the last time I was there). The interior decor is otherwise suitable for a pub, and they still have one of the best solo dance selections on the circuit in their discreet, clickable rug. Glendalough on the whole is rather beautiful, as well. Lilly's is also by far not the worst offender where those dance balls are concerned. I hinted to David Tuck once (albeit much more tactfully and subtly than I'm about to) that the plethora of dance balls all over the club Shiraz dance floor -- couples and line dances both -- were an eyesore. A couple of loyal Shiraz patrons generously donated an Intan ball, but David suggests that the poseballs are more newbie-friendly. While this may be true, I'm unconvinced that the club gets enough newbies on a nightly basis to justify the number of balls that remain out. Compact dance products that can animate solo avatars or produce couples balls on demand cut down on clutter, and it always makes me happy when club owners prefer to use those instead of lingering poseballs.

Zyngo, etc., machines. I understand that these games are very popular and that people who enjoy trivia games might enjoy them as well. I know that there are many reasons to have them at an establishment, not the least of which is that it can draw people to the location. I will only say that being popular doesn't make them any less ugly, and a responsible club owner will take into account how many a property can reasonably use without damaging the location's appearance too much. I personally wouldn't avoid a place due to the mere presence of game machines -- I'm not making an argument against them as a rule -- but I'd recommend simply being aware of how they might detract from a trivia site's appearance and not to use more than necessary.

Excess hover text. Hover text is useful for functional purposes, of course, and it's not usually possible -- or necessary -- to do away with it altogether. The problem emerges when there is so much hover text that it becomes difficult to see past it or when it becomes distracting. The SL eye is trained to ignore hover text when we don't need to see it, to a large extent, so that when it's so plentiful that we actually begin to notice it's there, it's too much.

I'm not going to touch issues of interior and exterior design and the use of quality builds because as subjective as my view already is, those things are much more obviously a matter of taste. My pickiness is mostly about dealing with unnecessary visual clutter that interferes with a location's overall appearance.

So now, since I probably have a few owners and managers and hosts of trivia establishments feeling either worried that I'm talking about their places or defensive because they know I am, let me talk a little about how exactly I believe the appearance of a trivia space could be important (and why it isn't always).

Basically, it's a matter of many, many different factors falling into position to make one's experience of a trivia space positive or not. Appearance is only one of them, but I thought it was an important one to bring up because it doesn't arise in most conversations unless a place is particularly attractive or unattractive. The factors also include the crowd, the trivia, the host(s), the prize amounts, and whether there are other draws, such as a live DJ, dancers, dancing, contests, or yes, even Zyngo games. Low lag also goes a long way. If a location gets high marks in most of these other areas, then chances are, an event can take place in the tackiest club in SL, for all that appearance will matter.

In addition, there is much to be said for intelligent placement: Lebn's place made my list of favorites despite the fact that there are a slew of danceballs at one end of the park; however, they are set apart from where the trivia takes place and are not too conspicuous. Sharon's Diner is chock full of clutter, but she works with it in such a way that it becomes ironic clutter and not just incidental clutter. Like her random music stream, it has a kitschy feel that challenges any kind of generalization one could make about even the few identifiable trouble spots I've highlighted. A space with pink flamingos, satirical ads on graffiti-covered bus benches, and a random meat hook can get away with a lot more ephemera than a space that takes itself too seriously.

There are probably very few hardcore trivia players who will avoid a place with good questions and decent payouts strictly because of its appearance, but it is a factor for some that gets balanced out with the rest of it. Making your trivia space a pleasant place to hang out in, preferably with floaty clutter in moderation, can influence the overall feel of the location and enhance players' experience so that you don't have to worry about whether those other factors make up for the aesthetics.

CultureCannibal Zilz and CapabilityTodd Elswit's Grotto in Villa Vesuviana will be offering trivia with class on a trial basis in the coming month.

SLURLs:
Barefoot in Jeongam: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Jeongam/73/25/54
Sharon's Diner: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Doldari/117/119/67
The Grotto: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Melioria/64/77/25

********
********

7 comments:

  1. Envy's Pub and Kokomo come to mind for places I'd go for trivia despite the prizes being low (under $10L).

    You should do a search for the ugliest trivia joint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who is design obsessive both in RL (as a function of my work) and SL (as a function of my overcrowded brain), I certainly notice these things when I tumble out from a TP. However, as a charitable individual, I often remark much more on good design at trivia establishments than on the poor, and when getting my triv on, have my rendering off so regularly that poor design is often forgotten. This is unlike the situation when shopping, where I am often heard to text "BLECH my eyes are bleeding, my eyes are bleeding...TP me out!" But I digress...

    I do love the atmosphere at some locals more than others. I adore the ship where we hold our Buccaneer Bowl, and it isn't just because I am involved with the event. It is simple, clean and has a very few extra crapalicious bells and whistles to be dealt with. It is a ship, pure and simple...a trivia ship.

    I love going to Lebn's place. It does feel cozy and sweet, and although the aesthetic is not what I would build myself, it is one that I enjoy every time I go there. Armada is also on my list of favourites, and like Lette, I regret that I have to turn my rendering off to cut the lag when I go. My right ring finger gets a work out toggling in and out of rendering just so I can enjoy it there, and I admit to sometimes just letting the trivia go, and camming around joyfully.

    As far as pure well synched design goes however, I tip my hat to Monochrome. I love that build. Lette pointed out how the levels keep the color scheme from being, well, too mono, and she is right. The shape of the place draws the eye, and keeps the visual flow moving, while never being crowded. It is an environment I would enjoy coming to, trivia or no trivia, Linden or no Linden to give away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jez Oh, here...

    First, I'd like to send out a big 'Thank You' for all the great comments I've gotten from my build at [MonoChrome]. I tend to contribute our recent success to our great trivia hostesses: Sinnamon Sands and the recently added Lou Netizen, but it is also nice to get some recognition for my prim manipulation.

    That being said, being a builder and semi-new to the Trivia Circuit, I tend to observe my surroundings prolly more than most. I always try to notice the 'logistics' of the set-up as well as the 'personality' of the location.

    One such set-up is at Lilly's Irish Pub, I think it conveys an excellent authentic pub atmosphere while giving us options to chill at the bar, relax by the fire or dance our time away. (sadly tho, the lag monster visits me there frequently). An added bonus is the great game Nelly and Lotus put forth.

    I think it's easier to describe what I DON'T like in a build, more than what I do....So, basically, as long as I'm not getting blinded by particles or spammed by gifts, LMs, notecards and/or ASCII gestures, I will sit down, enjoy the enviroment and try to maybe answer a Q or two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lillian wrote, "It is simple, clean and has a very few extra crapalicious bells and whistles to be dealt with."

    Mostly that's because we no longer have to share the space with the MoonBow Club and because the megaprim floor Mako created for us gives it a nice, bright appearance. The ship we had for the first one was nicer, but the current one is more functional.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree to an extent but for me the main reason I choose to attend an event is the atmosphere created by the people there and the hosts.

    It's no secret I like Double Standards, and this has a lovely relaxing atmosphere. I wouldn't class it as a 'build' though.
    The one thing that distracts me most at trivia events is those dreaded particles, and talking objects - be they machines, wombs or collars. Some of these are out of the owners hands, but sometimes they aren't.

    I do like the atmosphere created at Lilly's, but like most the lag monster gets me there so off goes rendering.

    I do feel more comfortable in some places than in others, but I think it's a combination of things, rather than the actual build that makes me feel at home. But if I near another talking object while I'm trying to think - then I won't be responsible for my actions!

    And Lette- you'll be pleased to hear Lindens are doing away with the dreaded camping chairs, so you won't have to worry about them for much longer:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Sharon;s Diner ambience is just right, and it's such a friendly and fun event.

    Oddly enough I hardly ever lag at Lilly's. Shorty's Ice House is the event where I always seem to lag badly, which is a shame because Lacey runs a nice friendly and fun event there.

    I didn't even kow you COULD turn off rendering. How do you do that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lotus wrote, "I didn't even kow you COULD turn off rendering. How do you do that?"

    Advanced >> Rendering >> Types, and then take your pick. #9, Volume, is the most effective to turn off to reduce lag. Or for a shortcut, Cmd + Opt + Shift + 9.

    @Cully - I don't have a problem with camping chairs existing; they just don't lend themselves to an aesthetically pleasing environment. When I'm at Moysie's, I'm entirely there for you and Ana and your trivia. Let's face it: taking the chairs out isn't going to turn the place into the Lost Gardens of Apollo overnight. ;)

    ReplyDelete